Main Article Content
Abstract: This study aims to initially assess the potential use of Monto vetiver (Chrysopogon zizanioides L.) in mitigating dioxin contamination and the treatment of arsenic contaminated soils. The experiment was carried out in the field, consisting of 3 lots of 100 m2 each. Monto vetiver grass was planted on November 25, 2014 in two groups, lots 1 and 2, with the initial dioxin levels in soil of about 1000-1800 ppt TEQ, arsenic is about 25-30 mg/kg dry soil. Of which, The first group (G1) received DECOM 1, a soil supplement promoting growth of indigenous microorganisms in the rhizosphere, and the second group (G2) as a control, without supplement; the third group, lots 3, was left as blank (without Vetiver). The analyzed results showed that Vetiver grass was able to absorb dioxin into grass roots and was then transported to grass shoots; dioxin in soil was significantly decreased in both G1 and G2 and was slightly stronger in G1 compared to G2. The correlation between dioxin content in soil samples and root samples (p = 0.02, r = 0.53) showed the tight relationship between them. In addition, the results also showed that Vetiver can take up arsenic into its roots and tranported to the shoots and the abiliy of Vetiver in remediation of arsenic contaminated soils.
In conclusion, the results confirm that Monto vetiver is suitable for phytoremediation of moderately dioxin and arsenic contaminated sites, particularly when combined with DECOM1
Keywords: Vetiver grass, dioxin contaminated soils, Arsenic pollution, Phytoremediation.
-  Văn phòng Ban chỉ đạo 33, Báo cáo tổng thể về tình hình ô nhiễm dioxin tại ba điểm nóng: sân bay Biên Hòa, Đà Nẵng và Phù Cát (2013).
-  H. Westing (Ed.), Herbicides in War, The Long-Term Ecological and Human Consequences, Taylor and Francis, London and Philadelphia, 1984.
-  Gough, Dioxin, Agent Orange: The Facts.Plenum Press.New York, 1986.
-  F. Cecil, Herbicidal warfare: The ranch hand project in Vietnam, Praeger Publishers, New York, 1986.
-  M. Stellman, S.D. Stellman, R. Christian, T. Weber, & C. Tomasallo, The extent and patterns of usage of Agent Orange and other herbicides in Vietnam, Nature 422 (2003) 681.
-  Đặng Văn Minh và Nguyễn Duy Hải, Nghiên cứu biện pháp xử lý sinh khối cây dương xỉ và Vetiver hấp phụ kim loại nặng sau khi trồng trên đất sau khai khoáng. Tạp chí Khoa học và Công nghệ 119 (2014) 113.
-  Phan Ngọc Vân Anh, Phạm Hồng Đức Phước, Lê Quốc Tuấn, Cỏ vetiver (Vetiverit picnioides): một giải pháp sinh học mới trong xử lý nước thải 1 (2002) 1.
-  Nguyễn Văn Trường, Nghiên cứu khả năng sử dụng cỏ vetiver (Vetiveria zizanioides) để kiểm soát chất lượng môi trường nước ao nuôi tôm tại xã Tam Giang, huyện Núi Thành, tỉnh Quảng Nam. Doctoral dissertation, Trường Đại học Sư phạm, Đại học Đà Nẵng, 2012.
-  Truong, P.N., and D. Baker, Vetiver grass for the stabilization and rehabilitation of acid sulfate soils. In Second National Conf. Acid Sulfate Soils, Coffs Harbour, Australia, (1996) 196.
- N. Truong, D.H. Barker, A.J. Watson, S. Sombatpanit, B. Northcutt, & A.R. Maglinao, Vetiver grass technology for mine tailings rehabilitation. In First Asia-Pacific Conference on Ground and Water Bioengineering for Erosion Control and Slope Stabilization, Manila, Philippines, April 1999. Science Publishers, Inc, 2004.
- Võ Văn Minh, Lê Văn Khoa, Phytoremediation of Cadmium and Lead contaminated soil types by Vetiver grass. VNU Journal of Science, Earth Sciences 25 (2009) 98.
- Vo Van Minh, Hiệu quả xử lý đồng của cỏ vetiver trong các môi trường đất khác nhau. Tạp chí Khoa học và Công nghệ, Đại học Đà Nẵng 38 (2010) 117.
- Bui, Thi Kim Anh, Dinh Kim Dang, Trung Kien Nguyen, Ngoc Minh Nguyen, Quang Trung Nguyen, and Hong Chuyen Nguyen, Phytoremediation of heavy metal polluted soil and water in Vietnam, The Journal of Vietnamese Environment 6 (2014) 47.
- Marcacci, M. Raveton, P. Ravanel & J.P. Schwitzguébel, Conjugation of atrazine in vetiver (Chrysopogon zizanioides Nash) grown in hydroponics. Environmental and Experimental Botany 56 (2006) 205.
- C. Makris, K.M. Shakya, R. Datta, D. Sarkar, & D. Pachanoor, Chemically catalyzed uptake of 2, 4, 6-trinitrotoluene by Vetiveria zizanioides. Environmental pollution 148 (2007) 101.
- Infante, I. Hernández-Valencia, L. López, & M. Toro, Phytoremediation of Petroleum Hydrocarbon–Contaminated Soils in Venezuela. Phytotechnologies: Remediation of Environmental Contaminants (2012) 99.
- United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Guidance on the Global Monitoring Plan for Persistent Organic Pollutants, 2007a.
- UNEP/POPS/COP.5/INF/27, Draft Revised Guidance on the Global Monitoring Plan for Persistent Organic Pollutants, 2011.
- US EPA, Method 1613, Revision B: Tetra- through octachlorinated dioxins and furans by isotope dilution HRGC/HRMS, EPA 821-B94-0059. Office of Water, US Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, DC, 1994.
- United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Guidance for Analysis of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs), Chemicals Branch. UNEP/DTIE, Geneva, Switzerland, 2007b.
- Van den Berg, L.S. Birnbaum, M. Denison, M. De Vito, W. Farland, M. Feeley, & M. Rose, The 2005 World Health Organization reevaluation of human and mammalian toxic equivalency factors for dioxins and dioxin-like compounds. Toxicological Sciences 93 (2006) 223.
- Perkin-Elmer Corporation, Analysis of Soils and Sediments: Total Cations. AY-3 in Analytical Methods for Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometry, USA (1996) 136.
- J.C. Favas, J. Pratas, M.N.V. Prasad, Accumulation of arsenic by aquatic plants in large-scale field conditions: Opportunities for phytoremediation and bioindication. Science of the Total Environment 433 (2012) 390.